1.11.11

Geen electra in Connecticut

Net een bericht van vriend Charlie uit Connecticut:
"Just a quick note that we still do not have power. I am in work now, so unfortunately have to be brief. I brought the birds to a friend in the next town who has power. I have a kerosene heater, but the fumes are not good to breathe, especially for the birds. I have a generator. I test it once a year to make sure it runs, but never under a load (plugged into a refrigerator). It kept stalling out. It took me a day to get it running well, so we will not lose our food.
Surprisingly, the hardest hit trees were the huge oak trees in our backyard. They are the last to lose their leaves, and they are the tallest trees, so when the strong winds blew against the snow encrusted limbs with leaves, some very large branches fell. A couple of them hit the pool. The pool's wall is warped, but not completely collapsed. I do not know if it can be fixed or is a loss. I have done nothing to clean the branches out of the yard because the house is so cold I do not want to get wet and sweaty, only to go into a cold house.
Today we plan on showering at Yale's gym. The power company has not given an estimate for getting the electricity back. Cheshire schools are closed today and tomorrow, so that is an indication that perhaps we might get electricity on Thursday? Nobody is saying!"